What Is A Temporary Order?

There are numerous issue that must be resolved when a couple decides to get divorced. Figuring out child custodyarrangements and spousal support can take months, and even years in some cases. When it comes to dividing your marital home, there are issues that need to be decided quickly before the divorce can be finalized. In this blog, we explain what a temporary order is and how it can be used to resolve disputes between you and your spouse.

Family courts are in charge of issuing temporary orders. Courts will decide on issues that need to be resolved and award a temporary effect until decisions can be made in a formal hearing or in mediation. The hearing for a temporary order is less formal and usually shorter than other types of family court hearings. Because of this, it is important to know exactly what you want before your hearing.

Family court decisions that are commonly made in temporary order hearings include:

  • Sale or Possession of the Home
  • Child Support
  • Child Custody & Visitation
  • Health Insurance
  • Restraining Orders
  • Asset & Marital Possession Division

It is important to note that the decisions made through temporary orders are not permanent. They are put in place to maintain the family's security and circumstances during the divorce proceedings.

Temporary Orders for Child Custody

Some spouses find it easier to agree on things than other couples. Those who can't agree on disputes should seek a temporary order immediately. This is particularly important for child custody agreements. If you want to have custody of your children, it is important to file for custody as soon as you can. If you don't file for custody, your spouse can possibly file kidnapping charges against you. Kidnapping charges can later be used against you in the divorce proceedings. However, if you have already filed for custody, the judge will see your claim and can possibly drop the kidnapping charge.

How Do I Request a Temporary Order?

To request a temporary order, you will need to file some paperwork at the family court. Most courts have the forms you will need online. Some courts even have people who can help you through the filing process.

Do you need help obtaining a temporary order for your divorce? Contact our Glen Allen team of family law attorneys to set up a consultation today.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

We’re Ready to Help You
Through the Challenges Ahead

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Map Map

Midlothian Office
1 Park W Circle
Suite 201
Midlothian, VA 23114

Phone: 804-419-6551
Phone: 804-794-4900
Fax: 804-794-3703
Midlothian Law Office Map

Glen Allen Office
4050 Innslake Dr.
Suite 190
Glen Allen, VA 23060

Phone: 804-419-6551
Phone: 804-585-3100
Fax: 804-968-7907
Glen Allen Law Office Map