Enforcing a Court Order in Family Law

Child Custody, Visitation, and Support Enforcement

If your ex is not upholding his or her end of the court order in your divorce, it can be detrimental in more ways than one. Court orders for spousal support, child support, and child custody are often the first to be dismissed after a change of circumstances in an ex's life. This is also the unfortunate result if an ex-spouse is angry, jealous, or otherwise acting out of emotion. Depending on the cause of the disruption, you can pursue avenues to get things back on track or choose to hold them in contempt of court.

Our team of experienced family law attorneys at DeFazio Bal will utilize their decades of experience in family law to review your case, determine the best path of action, and work with you to enforce the orders set forth during your divorce or child custody agreement. We understand how frustrating and disruptive it is when you do not receive money that you need or when child custody agreements are not obeyed.

What Are My Options?

With the help of an attorney from our team, you can pursue enforcement of court orders by way of the following options:

  1. For custody orders, you can request help from your local law enforcement and contact your district attorney. You can file a contempt of court for this type of disobedience, but it is best to seek the help of a lawyer before you pursue this action as it can result in serious consequences.
  2. For child support, you can request that wages be withheld, pursue suspension of their driver's license, take out a lien, or intercept tax returns to pursue the money. You can also pursue restriction on passports, to inhibit travel when a person is failing to pay child support.
  3. For spousal support, you can pursue an income deduction order, that will withhold the spousal support amount from the payer's income to pay the entitled spousal support.

As with any legal action, seeking the legal guidance and representation of a qualified family law attorney will help the process go smoothly and without risk of mistakes. Pursuing enforcement of court orders can often be a difficult and volatile endeavor, one that is best handled by a professional.

Request a Consultation at (804) 250-3729.

Whether you are facing an impending divorce or need help with enforcement of existing orders, our team has the experience and skill need to get the job done right. We can help you decide what avenue is going to best fit your situation and will stand by you in court. Don't risk any more setbacks, let our team of attorneys at DeFazio Bal take the reins so you can rest assured that your legal concerns will be effectively taken care of.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

We’re Ready to Help You
Through the Challenges Ahead

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Map Map

Midlothian Office
1 Park W Circle
Suite 201
Midlothian, VA 23114

Phone: 804-419-6551
Phone: 804-794-4900
Fax: 804-794-3703
Midlothian Law Office Map

Glen Allen Office
4050 Innslake Dr.
Suite 190
Glen Allen, VA 23060

Phone: 804-419-6551
Phone: 804-585-3100
Fax: 804-968-7907
Glen Allen Law Office Map